Thursday, November 01, 2007

A Fungus that puts the Stool in Toad

Alright, I'll admit - this is a VERY strange title. Then again, look at the picture! It's a very strange example of fungi.

Hmmm, and WHY do they call it Fun-Guy when there are no fun guys around?

Well, I can't really say that, I had my family with me and they can be very fun, but we're not talking animal kingdom here.

Have you ever seen a large Toad Stool? That's what I think it's called when they are this big. Can't call it a mushroom because I see small wrinkled gray things popping up in my head with the word, mushroom.
Now, Toad Stool, that's a word of grand proportions.
And what about Toad the Wet Sprocket? It should have been Toed, but I guess it sounds like they were a little too daring with electricity and got a bigger kick than expected so they stuck to making hit music and changed it to Toad.

Where was I? Oh yeah, Toad Stools. So anyway, driving along, my DH slams on the brakes and says,
"Did you see that? Did you see that huge mushroom?"

This, from a man who never notices I changed the shower curtain or lightened my hair. He STILL doesn't know that I've lightened my hair.
So, he does a U-ey, I get out with my camera - I always have my camera with me - and I take pictures to prove it's the biggest mushroom (he says) /Toad Stool ( I say) that we've ever seen.









But I have to ask, What KIND of toad stool is this? Why did it grow so big? Can you eat it? What conditions bring about such a large fungus? Why is it yellow on the outside but white on the inside? Why is the center brownish in color? Why are there dots all over its surface?







Unfortunately, I don't think I'll EVER find out. What are the odds a fungi expert will ever see THIS blog?




6 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

I tried looking here to see if I could find this mushroom, but... no luck. And, alas, I am not a fungus expert. Still, I may play on Google and see what I can find out.

I really love Bird Chick.

Brandy said...

Gosh, that thing is big! Sorry to say I know nothing about Fungi, so can't help you. Did you try Wikipedia?

Bailey Stewart said...

All I know is that I'm allergic to fungi.

Michele said...

Thanks for trying, Marianne!
And the Bird chick place is amazing!
I don't see HOW you can Google for Fungi when you're doing Nanowrimo...that's all consuming!But thanks...:-)
***************************
Hi, Brandy. Nope, haven't done Wiki ..not even sure where to start. LOL

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%]
Bailey! Long time no see, Woman!
How ya been!
And yes, I hear you... fungi can cause serious problems...fortunately, not all fungi are bad. Except when you're allergic.
Hope you are feeling well!
TTFN

Anonymous said...

The fungus looks like Amanita muscaria var. formosa. Google it.

Michele said...

Ron!
Thank you!
I Googled it just like you suggsted and my pic is EXACTLY what it is.
and it IS poisonous, wow!

I really appreciated your taking the time to share the information.

How exciting!

I Tried a Book Out of My Comfort Zone

Sometimes, reading out of my comfort zone is ... well, uncomfortable. The blurb of the book sounded rather interesting. The Fate of Mercy ...