Monday, March 08, 2021

Anecdotal - Vitamin D

 

I'm writing this post to add to the many anecdotes about Vitamin D. Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)  is a real thing.  I had a horrible time with it a few years ago and when I was tested for Vitamin D deficiency, it was found to be extremely low. I was immediately given a prescription for 50,000 IU.  It seems living in the Northeast means I'm prone to SAD. 

Here's the anecdotal part of my story. 

I've known this co-worker for three years. In all that time, especially during tax time, he's been full of vigor and could work long hours without lagging. He has a brain for math, order and detail. 

This year something changed. We had a conversation once he dropped off his current project. "I don't know what is wrong with me. I have no energy. I can't focus. I'm going to bed at 7:30 PM because I just can't keep my eyes open.  This has never happened to me before!"

I could tell he was puzzled, frustrated and angry with himself. I asked him a few more questions then offered my experience with the effects of Vitamin D on my health. I told him I believed in it, that it's made a difference for me, especially in the winter months, and that I now take it weekly from November to March. I also said that Vitamin D is cheap enough and the worse that could happen is ... nothing. Your body needs that vitamin anyway and if it's not a Vitamin D deficiency, then there would be no change. I said, "It's a simple thing to try." He agreed.

Fast forward a week later. He came into my office and right away I noticed a different demeaner. His first words, "I want to thank you for your suggestion about Vitamin D. It's the only thing I changed and I can't believe the difference it's made. It's like night and day!"

I was so pleased I was able to make a difference, that I could help. 

"I even told my wife about how good I was feeling and now she's taking it too.  So, I just wanted to thank you for the advice. I still can't believe the change. It's amazing!"

So, there you go. More proof that it works; taking Vitamin D can make a difference in your mood, concentration and energy levels.  

Just like anything a person takes, more isn't always better. Too much Vitamin D can be harmful. But if you take an extra 1,000 IUs and you notice a change for the better, then you know you're on the right track.  Seeing your doctor is a prudent thing to do, just like I did. Sometimes, the level is SO low, you need a prescribed super boost to get you where you should be. 

If you experience low levels of energy and concentration, it's worth checking out your Vitamin D levels. You might be surprised at what you find out.


No comments:

I Tried a Book Out of My Comfort Zone

Sometimes, reading out of my comfort zone is ... well, uncomfortable. The blurb of the book sounded rather interesting. The Fate of Mercy ...