Sunday, March 07, 2021

Ian Mackenzie Ear Swoon Report

I am still aglow.
I am sad that it's over.
I continue with the adoration of the novel, The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (you know, the one written by Jennifer Ashley).
My ears have now joined my eyes and brain as fans of Ian and if ears could swoon, mine would have.

It's all thanks to the incredible talents of narrator, Angela Dawe

I finally listened to the audiobook of Ian's story and through the stellar talent of Ms. Dawe, she brought  Ms. Ashley's Lord Ian Mackenzie to vivid life. That means I fell in 'love' with Ian all over again.

The strong point of Ms. Dawe's narration is her incredible talent with voices. She may have a melodious and sweet voice for her female characters, in this case Beth, the heroine, but her staggering ability with vocal ranges for male characters is truly a gift. That dark, strong and forceful voice she used for Ian's brother, Hart, caused trepidation and shivers - Ms. Dawe made him sound commanding and definitely 'Duke-ish'.

The Scottish accents, and I think Beth's maid might have been Irish, and of course the English accents, were integral in character differentiation. Every single character's voice was unique, which translated to bringing out their personalities if full flavor. The narrator provided a rich listening experience that is top-notch. I always thought Ms. Ashley's writing was awesome and Ian's story must be a shining jewel in her long career. It's well earned. Ms. Dawe had superb material to work with and her talent raised it that much higher in my esteem.

Do you realize that I started listening to it just this past Friday? I finished it at 2 a.m. Sunday morning! I listened to the novel in my car, at work, practically any moment where I had 30-45 minutes of straight listening time. When everyone went to bed, I shut of that blasted television and closed my eyes to sink into the romance story between Ian and Beth. It was sublime.

Here's one thing I DID forget - how sensual, titillating and passionate those 'open bedroom door' scenes were. I don't remember there being so many but I could not stop listening, or skip past those scenes. Why? Because Ms. Ashley is a clever writer. She incorporated critical increments of forward momentum of Beth and Ian's romance. The words, internal dialogue and emotional expressions were woven in so tightly, I had no choice but to listen and blush. Beth's calling herself a 'wicked, wicked woman' and Ian's focus to detail on what he wants to do with and to her, plus the descriptions used to paint a picture for a reader of Ian's pleasure with her body, caused me no end of heated cheeks. Listening to those words directly into my ears left me in no doubt about Ian's passion for Beth or hers for him. Ms. Dawe's narration wouldn't allow doubts.

Here's another thing that the narrator did - she captured the moment when Ian looked directly at Beth. Readers and fans of the novel know exactly why those moments were so powerful and emotional. Ian didn't make eye contact, hardly ever. When he did, it had meaning; a depth of meaning that is profound. Ms. Dawe captured that moment even through the audio venue. I was quite pleased.

I don't yet know if Ms. Dawe has narrated other romance stories of the Mackenzie family, and if not I hesitate to listen to them. Mostly because the quality of the narration by Ms. Dawe set a very high bar of expectation and I don't want to experience a let-down. My ears have, for lack of a better term, an audio glow; a pleasant listening memory I prefer not to diminish in any way.

Yes, indeed, if ears could swoon, mine would have. If anyone were to ask me if buying this audio version of The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie would be worth it, I wouldn't hesitate to say YES! Yes, yes yes. I was happy reading the book 10 years ago and I'm even more thrilled from listening to it today.

A huge THANK YOU to Jennifer Ashley for writing a romance that has held solid all these years, and to Ms. Dawe for creating audio magic and bringing Ian and Beth's romance to vivid life. Their happily ever after is all the sweeter for it.

No comments:

I Tried a Book Out of My Comfort Zone

Sometimes, reading out of my comfort zone is ... well, uncomfortable. The blurb of the book sounded rather interesting. The Fate of Mercy ...