Saturday, January 06, 2018

7 Authors Who Make Me Giggle or Snicker




I'm going to try something different.  I'm going to actually participate in a meme.  I've been a fan of LASR for a long time so this idea is pretty cool.

I thought about it and realized that humor is an important element for a few authors that are must reads for me.  At least once during the novel it has to make me snort and snicker and even facepalm at various points in the story. The book most definitely has to make me break out in smiles, grins and giggles to one degree or another.

1) If I'm in need of zany, madcap and startled guffaws, then Sandra Hill is a sure bet.  I adore her Vikings, both the ones that stay in the past and the time-traveling Vikings that make great navy SEALS,  as well as her sexy Cajun heros. From language issues to Tante LuLu, every one of those books in those series has something to make me giggle out loud, no matter where I am.





Image result for old sandra hill book coversImage result for old sandra hill book coversImage result for old sandra hill book covers


2) I've been a huge fan of Lynsay Sands and her Argeneau series for years. Her humor is not always knee slapping but it fills me with happiness, grins, giggles and chortles.  That kind of humor balances out some of the dark plot elements due to villians with bite issues.  Ms. Sands also writes historical and contemporary stories so I always have plenty to choose from.



The Switch was HILARIOUS! I even got my sister to fall in love with it too!

 3) I've also been a fan of Nina Bangs for a long time - probably since 2005 when I used to visit her blog faithfully. She's a paranormal author who created a most unusual cast of characters. Poor Hogarth is a great sidekick because he's so dry and caustic - a great straightman. Every novel has something to smile about.


Sparkle Stardust is fun to meet.



4) Jill Shalvis - an author I was privileged to actually interview for my blog back in 2007 - has a sense of humor that never fails; her heroes and heroines always touch my emotions and most of them I would love to meet in real life.



5) Sarah Morgan - Oh my gosh, am I ever a fan of hers. Her novels have me walking around with a sappy, happy smile on my face. Her books are so romantic and gentle and the humor is so lifelike and touching that I can't pass by a title of hers and not buy and read it. She's a solid writer who is a master of her craft. I might be surprised with an outright giggle here and there but no matter what, I know a smile is always in store for me. How did I find Ms. Morgan initially? Harlequin romances. She started off as my favorite brain candy and ended up being one of my go-to authors no matter what platform she writes in.



6) What list can possibly be perfect unless it includes books by Katie MacAlister. She writes in many genres but my favorite is paranormal. Her books can be an absolute gigglefest. As far as knee-slappers, uncontrollable fits of hilarity and true snort-worthy scenes, Ms. MacAlister gives Ms. Hill a run for the money when it comes to "the most giggles found in one book". Not all of her books are home runs in the snort category, but Ms. MacAlister comes darned close. If you can find one about the Renfest, grab it. I went to our local faire years ago not long after I'd read the book and I met a 'wench' who LOVED Ms. MacAlister's books so much, I think we talked over 30 minutes just comparing the funniest notes between the books we'd both read. Two strangers laughing hysterically in the middle of a Renfest about BOOKS! How cool is that?



And finally

7) Jennifer Ashley - Her humor isn't hilarious in her novels but many have this happy vibe that pops out in unexpected ways. Her plots are emotionally meaty and have depth so when humor is exhibited between her characters it has this real feeling. It makes me smile or grin or just feel good. Sometimes feeling good is its own reward. I've read about the Mackenzie family (LOVE) and her paranormals (a bit on the dark side) but somewhere along the line, Ms. Ashley imbues her characters with a sometimes subtle humor that I can appreciate. She's well worth time spent in her worlds.



So, am I the only one who enjoys some serious humor in her romances??

6 comments:

Aymee said...

Have you ever read Dakota Cassidy? She cracks me the heck up. Also, oddly enough, Richard Laymon always made me laugh in his horror novels.

Great idea and I love your list. Katie MacAllister is amazing!

Judy said...

Love your list! I mostly go dark in my reading (I think because I'm so upbeat everywhere else..lol), but there are times when I want something lighter. My Saturday Seven can be found at https://jhthomas.blogspot.com/2018/01/saturday-seven-books-into-musicals.html

Michele said...

Hi, Crazy Lady!
I've heard of Dakota Cassidy and after going through my NOOK library I found not a one. I'm going to have to check out her book. Can you recommend a few of her books that made you grin the most? That'd be grand.
As for horror stories - I'm a wuss. Stephen King cured me of even dipping a toe into that genre - but it sounds like you found some positive elements to enjoy. I never expected anyone to ever say a horror story could be funny, so thank you for commenting!!!

Michele said...

Hi, Judy!
Thanks for visiting. I'll go and check your post out too. I have a few dark series I follow and some I continue to read but others got so over the top dark I had to stop. The ones I really enjoy balance the dark with the light so I never regret reading them. It's a balancing act but some authors are geniuses in straddling the line. :)

Long and Short Reviews said...

I LOVE a good rom/com and you turned me onto Katie McAlister a few years ago. Some of the others you mentioned sound exceptionally good. Side note: I've never read Dakota Cassidy, but her sense of humor (even about having had a stroke recently) comes through in nearly every Facebook update. If it holds true for her books, they're probably a hoot. Thanks for playing!

Marianne Arkins said...

My "go to" rom/com author was always Jennifer Crusie ... I'm SO sad she doesn't seem to be writing anymore. I love her stuff and it's all on my keeper shelf.

I Tried a Book Out of My Comfort Zone

Sometimes, reading out of my comfort zone is ... well, uncomfortable. The blurb of the book sounded rather interesting. The Fate of Mercy ...