Saturday, January 27, 2018

The Appealing Oddness of Paranormal Romances




My past posts are amazingly bent towards paranormal/sci-fi/fantasy romances. So, I thought I'd share the 7 reasons I prefer them over others. Just so you know, I do read other genres, but none spark my imagination more than alternate realities and universes.
                                                 
 

1) Worldbuilding - whether it be Lynsay Sands, Kerrilynn Sparks, Terry Spear, Dianne Duvall, Jennifer Ashley, Robin D. Owens, Gena Showalter, Christine Feehan, Nina Bangs, Ilona Andrews, Erin M. Leaf, Sandra Hill, Alanea Alder, Mimi Jean Pamfiloff, Jayne Castle, Alexandra Ivy, R.E. Butler and scores of others - their imaginations have created a different reality with its own rules, social structure, challenges, lifestyles, and unique methods to finding their mates/loves that lead to the coveted happy ever after. No matter if it's in outer space or a variation of our own Earth, or a combination of both, the possibilities are endless.

2) Being surprised. I enjoy the intrigue of the unknown, and the comfort of being able to relate to the hero and heroine no matter how odd their environment. I like seeing the 'human' side of things even among non-humans and the unexpected means of courtingship and claiming. That makes me think of the series by Cheryl Brooks. Those first few books in the series contained lots of surprises.

3) The claiming. Yes, I know it's been done to the point of overkill, that moment when the hero or heroine catches a whiff of a particular scent that can only mean one thing - mate. In reality, humans marry hoping that their union will be one for the record books - celebrating 50, 60 or 70 years together until death does them part. Alas, for many people, it's not to be. Yet, we never lose hope.

In paranormal romances there is that tantalizing idea of nature providing a spark which points them in a guaranteed direction. For them; it's more than hope, it's seeking what they intrinsically know for a fact, an assurance that there is someone special for them. They know without a doubt when they cross paths. Their hope is more along the lines of fate making them stumble upon each other at just the right time. In my most favorite romances, the hero is (steared or steered?) towards his mate but it's not a given. He has to work for it; woo her, impress her, convince her, romance her and maybe even protect or fight for her. I'm not a fan of whiff-grab-mark-have sex and call those steps 'romance'. No, I want the protagonist to EARN the privilege of their mate's love, devotion and trust. I need a meeting of the minds, a clash of circumstances, a plot to overcome and conflicts I can relate to, before they rumple/tear/burn up the sheets in physical expression of passion, lust and love. The claiming can be by bite, marking or some other mystical manifestation and it's always super steamy, exotic, erotic, and the best part - forever.

                                         

4) Meeting non-humans. This is where an author's creativity can shine. Can gargoyles, dragons, elves, fairies, were-wolves-cats-bears-rabbits find love? Yes. I've read about were-skunks, were-moose and were-beavers. I read about aliens that are truly reptiles-tails included, beings that have an extra arm, or two, and aliens that are essentially blobs that can take whatever form they wish. I've seen aliens turn into madmen because they've not found their mates in a certain time frame - and the heroine has a huge undertaking in saving him in time from permanent insanity with the power of her love. Like I said before, paranormal/sci-fantasy offers unique situations that will never be found in straight contemporary or historical romances. Those genres have set parameters and rules that must always be kept in mind. Non-humans have no such constraint except what the author chooses for them.

5) Sex. Yes, paranormal and sci-fi/fantasy romances offer varied levels of heat - spicy to erotic, and odd or unusual courtship practices. Aliens and paranormal beings do it better. They always seem to know what and how to touch, bite or lick. :) I don't like books where the only plot is how many sex scenes can be squeezed in between a thin vehicle that claims to be a story conflict. I need my emotions involved, I need to be invested in the characters. I need to care. When the criteria is met, the books have a solid chance of going on my keeper shelf. The bedroom door doesn't have to be blasted all the way open but I like being seduced the same time as the heroine. I like when the sensual buildup, tantalizing teases, and near misses culminate in the satisfaction of seeing the protagonists succumb to their passions. When done right, paranormal romance sex is fun.


6) Alien landscapes and cultures - This pertains more to sci-fi/fantasy stories. Obviously this is part of #1, Worldbuiding, but it's the descriptions that are the showcases here. If an author can describe to me what the protagonists are seeing, and I can clearly visualize the scene, then it's worth noting. One author who can illustrate that talent is Elsa Jade because there is this one story that takes place on a hostile planet. The flora and fauna described, as well as a specific predator, knocked my socks off. Of course, there are magically guarded pockets on Earth that are doorways to a supernatural culture that is hardly benign to its denizens. Leave your earthly humanity at the gate because a whole new world is described to take you away from normality.
                                                         
 

7) Pure romantic escapism - Those three words say it all. I don't need a book to educate me on heavy subjects that dog my steps in real life from television, news radio or newspapers. I want to escape the negatives, the stress, and my worries of dealing with every day drudgery and crisis. Take me to another world, another culture where their conflicts are removed from my own. Show me heroes and heroines who are falling in love despite their unusual circumstances. Show me a romance with a happy ending to lighten my day, a story that makes me feel good, and a book that takes me on an adventurous roller coaster of emotions that culminates it the good guys winning and the bad guys getting what they deserve. Romantic escapism is my mental vacation. Paranormal/Sci-Fi/Fantasy pulls me out of my world and sends me into uncharted destinies. The lure is impossible for me to resist.


Paranormal romances may take me to odd places with quirky characters, but they are always entertaining. Love is their end goal. The pursuit of love and a solid happy ever after are such appealing hooks, I'm a pushover.

Now I get to ask you. Of my 7, which one speaks the most to you? Do we have anything in common?

This post is due in large part to Long and Short Reviews - A site where I've discovered so many new authors while browsing their reviews, it's a favorite of mine. I'm happy to be a part of their Saturday Seven.

10 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

I agree with everything *except* that whole fated mate thing. I hate that so much... I've only ever read one thing where I thought it was handled well, a graphic novel series called Elfquest I read in high school. There was a solid reason for what they called "recognition" and it didn't necessarily mean a relationship. It ONLY meant they had to have sex, for the specific means of procreation. And if they didn't they could actually grow ill and die. It was fascinating.

Now, though, if I read "he knew from her scent she was his mate" or whatever, I roll my eyes and stop reading. I'm clearly in the minority, since it's a huge trope, though.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by my "pad". :-D

Lydia said...

I'm not a big fan of the fated mate trope either. Then again, I haven't read a lot of books in this genre, so I'm sure there are many good examples of it working well out there. :)

I love a story that includes incredibly detailed world building, though. It's even better when it's set in a time and place that's completely different from life in 2017. That's one of my favourite things in the entire world to read about, so I get so excited when I find a great example of it.

This is my Saturday Seven post.

Michele said...

Hi, Marianne!

I 90% agree with you about that trope. For me, it's a jumping off point, a start - it shouldn't be a 'given'. Most of the books act like it's signed, sealed and delivered. Where's the fun in that???? I think it's the easy way out. I prefer it to be a bit harder for the hero. In fact, maybe there should be two 'hits' and he has to figure out which is the false positive. hmmmmm, interesting thought ... :)

Wendi Zwaduk and Megan Slayer said...

I'm not wild about the fated mates thing. I'd rather have fated but life can happen and change things. I love those speedballs. Hee hee. Great post!

Michele said...

Hi, Lydia!

If the world building is solid enough, it'll feel like I'm THERE! That's what the Celta world does for me by Ms. Owen. I love it that the cats communicate telepathically, certain houses are sentient and the No-Time storage unit is the BEST idea!!!

Then again, Jayne Castle's stories of humans that traveled through space via a mysteriously opened wormhole that after a long length of time, without warning, collapses and traps the Earth people on the planet, forever. How they change, adapt and the dust bunnies' antics suck me in every time. Love it! so yeah, an author who can world build is a keeper. :)

Michele said...

Hi, Wendi, and Thanks!

I guess the fated mate thing is my exercising to the Nth degree - willing suspension of disbelief. Instead of suspension, I guess I lock it away so I can get to the good stuff - plot, romance and the HEA. Speedbumps are half the fun! :)

Kathy said...

I'd have to say the pure escapism is my favorite. Of course you can do that in several genres. I really liked your 7 explanations. Shows lots of ideas and even a little of your personality I bet:)

Michele said...

Hi, Kathy! Thanks for visiting.

Ooh, another fan of escapism. :) I never thought of my posts being a window into my personality - that's an interesting observation.

I read historical romances too - in fact - the more time that passes, the more unreal they become. There are some aspects of historical romances that I wish still existed today ---- hmmmm. that's a great thought for next week's post!

Thanks, Kathy!

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

These are some great reasons.. I've never really thought about why I like certain genres and sub-genres. hmmm

Michele said...

Thanks, Goddess Fish! I know my reasons were bit long-winded but there are just SO many interesting facets and surprises!

Thanks for visiting, GF! :)

I Tried a Book Out of My Comfort Zone

Sometimes, reading out of my comfort zone is ... well, uncomfortable. The blurb of the book sounded rather interesting. The Fate of Mercy ...