Friday, January 26, 2007

Book Review time

You'll never believe this, but I had an ENTIRE post written and just as I hit send, the book I was raving about slipped from my fingers, fell onto the keyboard, AND SHUT OFF MY COMPUTER!!
I lost everything. And NOW, Blogger won't let me upload pictures --- again!

Say it with me now ... "Grrrrrr!"

Three books. All recommends on various levels.

#1 level is a tie between DARKFEVER by Karen Marie Moning and Shards of Crimson - an anthology with Liz Maverick, Patti O'Shea, Carolyn Jewel and Jade Lee.

#2 Level is Your Planet of Mine? by Susan Grant.

DARKFEVER -Karen Marie Moning

Karen's book is about two main characters told in the first person POV. Mac and Jericho - man,I love that name. What they both are, we're never quite sure. What I do know is that they are characters that grabbed my attention and wouldn't let go. Karen had many inspired and LOL one-liners coming from Mac that I fell in adoration (*ahem* Love a guy, adore a female - call me quirky) with her character. Her journey is only beginning - which makes sense in that this is the first book in a new series . Already I can see hints about the person Mac will become, and I like it.

By the time the book ended, which may I say, was waaaay too soon, I was flipping pages furiously,eager to know what came next. Stayed up to midnight reading this one. It was worth the loss of sleep.
Sure, there is plenty of woo-woo factor, action and perplexion but there is also a delightful death-by-sex fae which I hope to see more of. *wink*

And do you know what else? Karen put in a Glossary at the back of the book. I had just as much fun reading that as the book itself. Leave it to Karen to make all aspects of her book fun.
This one delivers.
KEEPER!!

The second in the #1 tie is Shards of Crimson.

I have enjoyed my past visits to Crimson City and this one is no less riveting. It picks up with some characters that you have met in previous books and provided some much appreciated HEA's. Only one story gave me a "burp" on the believeability front ... that occured in the first three pages of the story. (Not saying which one ...nya-nya!)
From then on it smoothed out and ended up being an enjoyable and satisfying read.
School Bites by Jade Lee was truly inspired. Love the twist she put in with this... and the spice. LOL! Oh wow, what fun! - I'm thinking of the "conversion" process and it makes me giggle. THAT scene alone is enough for me to call this anthology a keeper.
The DX by Carolyn Jewel? Can we say YUM? As in, I would LOVE to see a pic of the man that inspired the description of Jaden. **sigh**

One word goes through my mind as I read this book: keeper-keeper-keeper.


#2 slot goes to Your Planet Or Mine? by Susan Grant.

I typically enjoy Susan's books and that includes this one.

Cavin is an alien visiting Earth with his Dad. Jana is an Earthling. They accidently meet when they're kids and fall in love within a few days time. But he leaves - hey, he's a kid and he did what his Dad told him to. Sort of.
Twenty three years later - they meet again. Only Caven's visit has much more important ramifications than just getting his girl back. There's a BIG picture involved. I also enjoyed Susan's version of Area 51. Nice twist.

The story is sweet, amusing and I enjoyed the dynamics of Jana's family. That was the best part for me, her family. Susan even had me feeling sorry for the bad guy.

I can't say this is a 'keeper' for me, but it is a must read. A feel-good read.
Susan usually gives the sweetest HEAs. In that, this one is no different.
********************************************************
So folks, that's the scoop. It is NOT the exact post that I'd originally wrote, but it'll do .
Happy Friday to you. OH! And for those that aren't into books, may I offer:
********************************************************
A Very Short Story

Man driving down road.

Woman driving up same road.

They pass each other.

The woman yells out the window, PIG!

Man yells out window, B I T C H!

Man rounds next curve.

Crashes into a HUGE PIG in middle of road and dies.


Thought For the Day: If only men would listen

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, I love the story. :)

The computer gods really have not been smiling on you lately, have they? Yikes.

Michele said...

Thanks, Jason! I'm glad you liked the story. :-)


*sigh* you are SO right about the computer ... um, I'd call them demons or computer brownies or gremlins ... nothing as honorable as gods ... no way... not after all the crap they put me thru. *harumph*

Brandy said...

Loving the short story! As for the book recommendations? Thanks!

Dru said...

LOL!! Love the short story. I'm going to check out the two books.

Judson Knight said...

Hiya, Michele! Long time no "see"! Yes, I'm the one entirely to blame, being so remiss as a blogger and poster to friends' blogs. But here I am--a man who actually listens (sometimes)!

Great review of Karen's and Susan's books. Though Susan is not a client, she's a good friend of D's.

Anyway, thanks for some great posts, both here and on a certain blog that doesn't get nearly enough attention from its creator!

I Tried a Book Out of My Comfort Zone

Sometimes, reading out of my comfort zone is ... well, uncomfortable. The blurb of the book sounded rather interesting. The Fate of Mercy ...