Sunday, November 13, 2005

A walk in Santa's Land

My longish weekend was spent getting in tune with the holiday season that is fast coming upon us.
Already in stores, are the materialistic sledgehammers that excel at pounding away at our wallets and phyche.
Music, new gimmicks and merchandise is being is touted as things you simply "can't live without or, that the items, once given for Christmas, are the "true meaning of ...friendship, love, caring...yadayada...pick your poison. "

I, however, go a different path to enter into the Christmas spirit. I go to the source.
Visit Santa Claus!
Snow's been a little scarce this past year at the north pole. Hence this elf slide....used for Elven down-time and just cheerful fun. Just under the Polar Bear is the proof...it reads: North Pole.

Really, think about it....if you can't have fun in the snow..you gotta have back-up, right?


Looks like fun!










This is the pond where the Christmas Geese are kept. You know, like the one that Ebeneezer Scrooge gives to Tiny Tim and his family?




Here we have the Elf ticket taker who always takes your train tickets for the Polar Express with a smile.

You can see the train in the backround. Wonderful ride...any time of year to tell the truth.













The next is a wonderful visit to Maude and Larry Llama at 7 Clause Lane. I was very happy to see that Maude was in a very photogenic mood. She has the most beautiful, soulful eyes for a llama.






Isn't she pretty????

Oh!! By the Way.... did you know that if you want to see my pictures clearer... just click on one and it will load in all its close-up, vibrant glory? I didn't until I clicked on one by accident.....I LOVE it when I discover new things!!!....
Is this cool or what!!?!!






















I was thrilled when I saw that Frosty's cousin, Sparkle, was waiting for me with a great big Santa's Land "HELLO" treat. I wonder how long it's going to take for me to eat that HUGE candy cane???

Dear reader...wanna help???





The best thing that happened was when I went to Santa's house and got to meet the big guy himself, Kris Kringle.



See the sign over the mantle???
It says:
"I believe in Santa Clause"


Of course I do.....,
Why would I travel all the miles I did, if I didn't?!?!










However, now being the age and height and .....well, height that I am now....sitting on Santa's lap isn't such a healthy idea ... for the jolly Elf. He took pity on me and let me have a wish, ( see, he's STANDING *grin* ) but now I have to make my wishes for some one else. Something about "being an adult"....bummer!

Ah, but isn't that the spirit of Christmas...good wishes and good cheer for those that we call friends and family? Loved ones and cherished acquantainces?

It's not about self.....

Sometimes, it's nice to be reminded of that. And who best than the fire-engine red tangible, the visible crimson and snow white symbol of the Christmas season.... Santa Claus!!

So, yes indeed. Ho ho and ho....I'm now ready to begin the festive mind-set. No being snarky, or crabby about anyone or anything.......much. (have to give myself a loop-hole *wink*)

Curious kitty wants to know. What gets YOU into the spirit of the season????

19 comments:

Angela's Designs said...

Looks fun. A few miles from here some people have some llamas in their yard. My father is a bycyclist for his exercise. One day he was on the edge of the street, a good 3-4 feet from their fence because there is a sidewalk between. He was riding along, minding his own business, and this curious llama sticks it's neck out and tries to say hi. Getting kissed my a llama was about the last thing he expected riding by on his bike, so he nearly crashed.

Michele said...

ROTFL!!!!!
HAhaha Annalee, that's a wonderful story!! *grinning alot*
Thanks for sharing that. Woohoo!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, Michele :)

Christmas lights, decorations, and the all round festive atmosphere get me into the spirit of the season!

Brandy said...

Have to say, music and weather. It HAS to be cold, and I have to have my favorite music. Oh, and all the christmas specials on t.v.. The Garfiels one is my favorite. I loved the pics and will show them to the kids tomorrow. (They are asleep, blessed silence).

Michele said...

Hi Bonnie!
Those are Classic mood-setters. People are already putting their lights out ... trying to beat the snow. I love the sight of snow covered lights on trees and bushes...very pretty.
Thanks for sharing!

Michele said...

LOL, Brandy. Sleeping kids are angels :-)
Glad you like the pics and think they're OK to share with your kids. I'm happy about that.
Cold is easy to accomplish in New England...
I love it when our wood stove is chugging out all that heat and it's blowin' snow outside. I have even baked potatos in the coals. Yum.
I always liked the Little Drummer Boy...cry every time.
That sounds weird doesn't it?

Michele said...

Laura, nice to see you here!
BBQ's for Christmas....hmmmm,
BBQ turkey sounds yummy!
I also like the older music ...White Christmas is one of my favorites. I like some of the Beach Boys holiday music too...great for those pool parties *wink*

I bet those few weeks before the end of the school term is going to FLY by! Have a wonderful Christmas!

Jill Monroe said...

Very, very cool!

Kelli McBride said...

For me, I start getting into the season with music, but it's even more than that. I think Thanksgiving, when you are surrounded by family, starts me thinking about it. December itself when everyone starts putting out decorations, cards start coming in the mail, etc. Definitely TV shows like A Christmas Story, Santa Clause is Coming to Town, and White Christmas.

The smell of pine, cinnamon, apples, and cranberries. The nip in the air. And the anticipation - trying to find the perfect gift for someone. Trying to decide who gets the practical joke gift this year. Putting up the tree. Praying that THIS year we'll have lots of snow on Christmas day.

The certain feel of the heat in the house when you come in from the cold. Your hot breath turning to steam when you exhale outside. Mittens and scarves.

For me, everything gets me in the mood. I was born for Christmas (even though I was born in June). It's not about getting gifts (I prefer gift cards from the bookstore should anyone be inclined). It's about family, and the idea that we can make this world one of tolerance and love if we work hard enough. I try to teach that to my students throughout the year, and Christmas is the one time that most people seem to remember and believe.

My favorite Christmas song? "Let There Be Peace On Earth." It says everything that Christmas is to me.

Okay, and another opportunity to pig out on turkey and dressing.

Michele said...

Thanks, Jill.
:-)

Michele said...

Wow, Kelli, you've blown me away!
I sense mucho enthusiasm and Christmas cheer.
How wondrous.
Thank you for sharing!!!

Michele said...

*smiles widely*
Thanks for the nice compliment, Gangadhar. "great ones.."? :-)
Cool.

Gregg said...

Michele,

I was wondering if I could get a link from you site to mine? I like your site and hope people who read yours would find mine interesting.

Just a thought.

Gregg

Michele said...

Hey Gregg, new icon!!!
Oh, yea, sure...consider yourself linked...Bwahahahaa,
you are now in my power!! **waggles eyebrows**

The Girl You Used to Know said...

Great pics, Michele. I really enjoyed them.

I am all about the lights. I get all gooey and woo-woo when I see them. Can't explain it any better than that. When I was a kid, I used to get up in the middle of the night and just daydream while watching the christmas tree sparkle in the darkness.

I also used to be a white light only girl...but have recently moved over into the world of multi-colored glory.

-Mel

Michele said...

Welcome Mel!!!
Aha! Another convert to Christmas in color!
I recently changed to flickering lights. I believed that only unblinking lights were appropriate...the blinkies reminded me of Vegas or cheap motels.. I've since found a tasteful balance..one strand of slow fade lights intermixed with 2 strands of steady lights creates a beautiful soothing effect. Now, I can't imagine it any other way...stars twinkle and planets shine...and both are found in the heavens....is that poetic or what?

So glad you dropped by!!

Anonymous said...

Cool pictures, Michele :) I went to Santa's Village when I was a kid and it was so much fun. Of course it was in the off season LOL.

Christmas decorations and good cheer get me into the spirit of the season. That and freshly fallen snow.

Michele said...

Hi Bonnie!
Sometimes the "off" season is the best! Less people, less lines...more fun.
It was for us. The slide was well used! The only delay was how fast you walked back up the hill to go down again.

Snow's coming soon!! We'll all be inthe mood soon.
Happy to see you!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you!
http://tsjmbnlx.com/ysdk/wqhh.html | http://lobkwjqb.com/duee/diti.html

I Tried a Book Out of My Comfort Zone

Sometimes, reading out of my comfort zone is ... well, uncomfortable. The blurb of the book sounded rather interesting. The Fate of Mercy ...