Sunday, July 09, 2006

A promise kept -Parallel Appreciation


I know, I know - you've seen this book cover around the blogosphere already. It came out in April and it's taken me until July for my turn.

And yes, we can appreciate the cover model, Nathan Kamp - I mean, those lips are distinctive *wink* - but the book itself is noteable .

Parrallel Attraction by Deidre Knight



Isn't she sweet looking?

There's a ton of talent and imagination coming from this author of which Parallel Attraction is only the start.

I read it in one day - hint- it's fine reading. I have to give credit where credit is due - not to produce a spoiler so early in this post - she has simply blown my mind with her story arc.
There is some time travel in this - but not within the concept that you are used to reading in your favorite romance books. This journey was so convoluted and detailed, I had a hard time following how an author could not only think of the series of events that occur, but keep a tight enough reign on the various threads making it all work - coherent and believeable.
My brain hurt. (in a good way)

The story involves king Jared Bennett - an alien exiled king whose enemy not only threatens his home planet ,but unbeknownst to its inhabitants, Earth too.
Kelsey Wells is the human woman who captures his heart despite his resistsance. He fights against his feelings as he is unwilling to have her drawn into the conflict.

A tortured hero.
A woman whose love does not blind her to his reality.
Tormented loyalties.
The strength of the human spirit and selfless love.

Kelsey is strong , a smart and beautiful personality.
Jared is also strong, but in a way Kelsey never anticipated.
And what they discover together changes everything they thought they knew.

I do recommend reading this if sci-fi, paranormal romance is your thing. You'll enjoy the story.
My really personal feeling?
It was almost like Deidre touched base on all the blooper points of reading romance and fixed them with astounding and joyous results.
See if you can identify at least three areas where authors step into the Pet Peeve Zone.
Deidre side-stepped them all.
Cool.

14 comments:

Brandy said...

Oooh, sounds interesting!I may have to pick this one up.

Babe King said...

Gotta love Deidre. She's a clever lady in all her hats, and nice too. I hope her book sells a million.

Michele said...

Brandy! - pick it up! pick it up!
Allow me to put it this way - its MUCH better than the "..Laid Plans" book you sent me. And that's saying something ...

Devon - Hi! you betcha!

Babe - Hello! Welcome! Thanks for stopping by and writing comments I heartily agree with.
And I second the wish that she sells a Million - wouldn't that be stellar?

Charli Cole said...

I've heard so many wonderful things about this woman. And the fact that she's an author and an agent is just impressive to me.

I truly wish I did read sci-fi, paranormal...let alone romance. Then I would rush to buy this. Yet, I customarily don't.

So, all I can do, at this point, is wish her the absolute best in succeeding at selling a gazillion copies.

Sorry...had to keep it real. :)

Michele said...

Cali! Please don't feel like you have to apologize for "Being Real",
Those are the only comments that should count.
Truly, no one wants false praise because it demoralizes and undermines the positive aspects of a thing/person/opinion.

Deirdre IS an amazing woman, and as such, I'm sure she'd appreciate your honest views.
Thank you so much, Cali, for taking the time to visit AND comment.
(hugs)

Mailyn said...

I never saw your blog before but boy am I glad I found it, those last few jokes were hilaroius!

Michele said...

Well then, a Big Howdy, Mailyn!!!
Welcome to my humble blog.
Thanks for letting me know that you got a few chuckles from my jokes.... good knee-slappers are hard to find, so I share when I find them.
Stop by anytime!
:-)

Mailyn said...

thanks for the welcome!

about the Black Jewels, I'm pretty sure you can get the book from the local library as it's not a new book. it's actually a few years old. I thought it was so romantic. well, I thought it was just an awesome book!

ok, I'm rambling again lmao

Shesawriter said...

It looks interesting, but sci-fi paranomral isn't my thing. However, I could stare at that book cover for hours. LOL!

Kristen Painter said...

I'm reading this right now and loving it!

Michele said...

OK, Mailyn, I'll check it out!

Tanya! Oh yeah, the cover IS yummy - Are you more into contemporarys?? Just curious ...

Kristen! Happy to see you, :-)
Are you going to blog about the book too?? I'd love to compare notes!

Angela's Designs said...

Haven't read it yet. Saw it first on myspace when I ran across the author on there. Sounds great. :)

Anonymous said...

I thorougly enjoyed it when I read it :)

Michele said...

Whoa, Annalee, Deidre has a MySpace space? Hmmmm, guess I have some exploring to do :-)

I had hopes that I did the book justice in writing about it here - thanks.

Bonnie :-)
I'm glad you liked it too - bodes well for Parallel Heat. *grin*

I Tried a Book Out of My Comfort Zone

Sometimes, reading out of my comfort zone is ... well, uncomfortable. The blurb of the book sounded rather interesting. The Fate of Mercy ...