Sunday, January 29, 2006

An adventure into the mundane

All the hopes, planning and optimism in the world simply cannot change the course of reality.
Went to visit the coastline of the state of Rhode Island, camera charged and ready. Eyes alight with anticipation as to what I'd see, capture and share on my blog.
Fate is laughing.
Doubled over in glee.
Clinking overflowing goblets of Merlot with Bacchus between snickers and snorts.
Tricked by the shining sun, above average temperatures and dry roads.
All is not what imagination contemplated.
Route 1, usually a "scenic" road, was, for lack of a better term, weird.
We were sent on loops and rambling U-roads that took us to see, homes. Americana at its most normal and unhistoric. The ocean, vistas of harbors, inlets and oceaniana were missing.
Honestly, that wasn't the weird part. What WAS strange, was the fact that the "town" we were looking for, was never located. No matter how much back tracking and different roads we took. We never found it. Maps were useless.
Route signs disappeared.
We ended up 4 towns over before we realized we were following a whole different route.
We turned around and went back.
Going backwards provided us with the signs and routes that we should have seen going Forwards, but didn't exist.
We ended up brain fried and stopped at a Holiday Express Inn. Very nice. Actually, the nicest part of the whole trip besides the sun and temperature.
We could walk to Chili's where we ate supper. Delicious!!
We could walk to church this morning. The novelty of walking to the places we needed to get to from our motel was quite the treat.
Leaving this morning, we found Rt 114 North. Ah! THIS was what we were looking for. Places of historic significance. True, if you like the arts and crafts, little shops filled with little gifts and high prices, then this trip might have been a success for you.
This time, we were able catch glimpses of ocean! Yes! and covered boats, Yes! and finally, Finally, something to take pictures of to share with you.

I don't believe I have to say a word. This was truly worth a photographic memory being taken.
What do you think??? BTW - Remember, click on the picture to get the "bigger pic" so you can see all the writing......










































































































Some of these sentiments, truly touch the heart. I know they did mine.

10 comments:

Brandy said...

I am so sorry you missed what you were looking for. The memorials you've shown are very heart rending. I saw the Vietnam Memorial when I was in 9th grade, I cried. We also saw the Tomb of the Unknown (then) soldier and placed a wreath on it. (Government Class Trip.)
At least you found a nice hotel and resteraunt. We were unable to attend Mass this morning. Little Man(Son) is still sick and was coughing up a storm this morning. Right now he's watching Star Wars Attack of the Clones with his Dad. If I never heard or saw another Star Wars movie again I'd be blissfull!! Talk at you later, B.

Unknown said...

Wow, great pix! I'm back from the flu excursion! FINALLY! :)

Unknown said...

And hey, thanks for adding my link! ;)

Avindair said...

Michele --

Loved the pics. The last two choked me up.

Thanks.

Shesawriter said...

Thanks for sharing. Very touching photos.

Tanya

Angela's Designs said...

Thankful to see these too. Saw an editorial in the LA Times that irritated me today, so it's nice to remember how most of us remember those we've lost with kindness in their hearts.

Brandy said...

Hi. Just wanted to let you know that my DH posted a comment under your question about your monitor. (like you couldn't tell it wasn't me. *snicker*) B.

Michele said...

Thanks Brandy! You know how I feel about Star Wars, LOL
Hope your little guy feels better soon!!


Glad to see you back, Gangadhar! And thanks for reading my post.

Robin, I'm so happy to hear you're feeling better.
And you're welcome for the link!

Thanks, Avindair. It really was a 'walk of memories'. There were so many of them, that I had to take a couple of pictures, just so I could read them at my leisure. I missed so much the first time around. Reading them and taking the time to reflect on what they meant and were saying, affected me too.

Thanks Tanya. Glad you think so as well. Makes me glad I shared them.

Wow, Annalee. I guess my timing was good, yes? This would have been a great Memorial Day post, but I couldn't see waiting. The respect of ones who died for our country is an all year event. At least, that's how I see it.
Thanks!

Saw It Brandy, Thanks! Makes a whole world of sense the way your DH explained it. AND it makes me think that they were jerking me around. I dililke that intensly!
LOL, on it not being you. Like usual, you crack me up! :-)

Jonesie said...

Glad you finally found your way. Just catching back up with you since my "By the Alphabet" post. As far as tomatoes go, yes, I knew they were vegetables, but they're really the only fruit/vegetable that I don't like. I only hate fresh tomatoes. I like cooked tomatoes and sometimes even grilled or broiled tomatoes, but just not the fresh ones. I wish I did; everybody else seems to. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Michele,

The paving stones touched me the most. I know if I had been there, I would have been in tears. I walked through Williamsburg Virginia in tears, too.

I'm silly like that. :)

I Tried a Book Out of My Comfort Zone

Sometimes, reading out of my comfort zone is ... well, uncomfortable. The blurb of the book sounded rather interesting. The Fate of Mercy ...